OUR MISSION IS TO UNITE, CELEBRATE AND EXPAND THE LOCAL CREATIVE ECONOMY
Photo by Imagesmith Photography
ABOUT: The Durango Creative District (DCD) is a nonprofit 501(c)3 operating under the fiscal sponsorship of the Local First Foundation. The DCD is also a physical district with a high concentration of arts and culture events, businesses, nonprofit institutions, public art and more.
HISTORY: A broad coalition of representatives from local businesses, organizations, nonprofits and the City of Durango came together in the summer of 2018 to establish a Creative District in Durango. A steering committee was formed and became committed to facilitating and completing "D.I.Y. Call Yourself Creative Stakeholder Process" required to become state-certified by Colorado Creative Industries, who oversees the Creative District program.
The creative community in Durango coalesced and over 30 working groups were held on topics ranging from our Creative District's strategic plan to our brand. After a year of thorough research, fundraising, and discussions about our vision for our creative economy, Colorado Creative Industries granted state-certification to Durango Creative District in December 2019. There is an abundance of creatives living in Durango, and this initial stakeholder process would not be fulfilled without the community's support!
OUR ADOPTED GOALS
1. Support local cultural organizations
2. Expand art displayed in public spaces and business locations
3. Create and enhance performance venues, creative work/live spaces, and rehearsal spaces
4. Promote Durango's creative economy
5. Emphasize and celebrate diversity and local heritage
6. Support creative professionals
7. Advance civic and community dialogue on creative matters
8. Grow DCD's capabilities and capacity